Jean de Brébeuf College, Degree in Humanities
OAS International Law Course, Brazil, 1999
University of Ottawa Faculty of Law, LL.L., Civil Law, 1999
University of Ottawa Faculty of Law, LL.B., Common Law, 2000
National School of Public Administration, M.P.A., 2001
Deputy Chair, Arbitration Council, Georgian International Arbitration Centre (“GIAC”)
Board Member, Chamber of Commerce and Industry France-Georgia
Advisory Board Member, Free University (Tbilisi)
International Chamber of Commerce Georgia
American Chamber of Commerce in Georgia (Tbilisi)
Association des Avocats au Barreau du Québec en France (Tbilisi)
Chambers of Commerce in France and Italy (Paris)
French Business Council (Tbilisi)
Nicola Mariani focuses his practice on local and cross-border merger and acquisition transactions, complex commercial matters and joint ventures as well as commercial arbitration and pre-litigation negotiations. Previously, Mr. Mariani served as a local partner with an international law firm. He has also served in the corporate and international arbitration departments of a magic circle firm in Paris. He speaks English, French and Italian.
The latest Chambers Global and Chambers Europe, 2018 describes Mr. Mariani as a lawyer that is “very good at analysing contracts from various angles” and is praised for “valuing the client’s time.” The 2017 edition of Chambers Global and Chambers Europe notes that he contributes “lots of experience, creativity, a very international look at the business and an excellent business network.” He is noted for his work in the Georgian legal market in The Legal 500 EMEA, 2017. In recent years he has been praised as “commercially astute” in The Legal 500 EMEA, 2016 and in Chambers Global, 2015 as a recognized practitioner in Georgia and a foreign expert in Canada, France and the USA. The directory cites clients saying that “he is a tough negotiator, knows what clients want and provides the advice that addresses both business and legal issues.” One client commends him in Chambers Global, 2016 and says “He’s been absolutely amazing – with his wide knowledge besides the legal issues, and his understanding of the financial and technical part of the contract.” He is also ranked in Chambers Europe, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
• Kenes S.a.r.l. (Luxembourg) in connection with the sale of its 51% interest in Caroli Foods Group B.V. to Campofrio Food Group, the Spanish subsidiary of Mexican multinational food processing and distribution company Sigma Alimentos.
• M1 group, a diversified investment holdings group, in connection with its sale of Façonnable Holding S.A.S. and its subsidiaries (including Façonnable S.A.S.) and sale of Façonnable S.à.r.l. to PJL Investments, part of the Pepe Jeans group.
• Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia on the investor selection and negotiation process for the Build, Own, Transfer Agreement for the Anaklia Black Sea Deep Water Port Project.
• Georgian Co-Investment Fund in the acquisition of a 55MW Hydro Power Project.
• United Airports of Georgia on its corporate activities.
• National Bank of Georgia in connection with international arbitration proceedings.
• A foreign investor in Georgia in relation to investments in real estate and hotel assets.
• Ministry of Energy of Georgia in relation to proceedings relating to the distribution network of electricity in Georgia.
• M1 Group in the acquisition of Façonnable.
• A French energy company in the acquisition of a gas-fired electrical plant.
• A financial institution in the negotiation of its title sponsorship agreement with an F1 racing team.
• An energy company in the acquisition of petroleum-related assets.
• A major oil company in the acquisition of a listed company in France.
• A major pulp and paper company in the divestment of assets in France.
• The Government of Georgia in connection with its annulment proceedings and revision proceedings before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes in respect of an award against Georgia relating to a joint venture agreement and a related concession to develop oil and gas transportation systems in Georgia, and the successful settlement of this matter.
• The Government of Georgia in connection with proceedings brought before the English High Court in respect of claims under various contracts for the delivery of equipment, and the successful settlement of this matter.
• Georgian Railway LLC in connection with its issuance of US$250 million 9.875% Notes due 2015. The transaction marked the first-ever international debt offering by Georgian Railway LLC.